The Get Publishing Webinar Series is part of a new stream of offerings named after the Get Publishing Communications Society (GPCS), which has ceased to exist as of 2016 and gifted its brand to the Writers' Guild of Alberta. The series aims to continue equipping the audience served by Get Publishing in its decade-plus of existence: writers who want to see their work published."
--Cheryl Mahaffy, last president of GPCS
We use Zoom to conduct our webinars. After you register and pay for the webinar, the link to the webinar will be included in your receipt for payment unless otherwise noted (Note: be sure to complete the payment page, even for free webinars, to make sure that you get the link - the link will be in your receipt email). The webinars are recorded and available to you for one week after the live session. You will also receive that link via email. Thanks for joining us!
Free Grant Writing Session (online via Zoom): Tuesday, February 7th at 12:00 noon. Join Alberta Foundation for the Arts (AFA) literary consultant Brenda Hennig for an online noon hour presentation. We’ll review how to prepare your project description, budget, and writing sample plus highlight those finer points that can make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful application. Next deadline to get your AFA application in for a literary grant is 1 March 2023. Please register for this event here.
Accessing Past Webinars:
Click on the webinar you are interested in and fill out the form at the bottom of the description. After entering your information, you will be directed to a payment page. Following your payment, you will be sent a link to the webinar.
Be sure to fill out the order page even for free webinars - the link to the webinar will be included in the order receipt.
- WGA Webinar: Preparing Submissions for Literary Magazines
- Writer Beware: Writing Scams and How to Avoid Them
- Publishing from a Printer's Perspective with Donovan Bergman
- Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Taxes with Joel Fishbane
- It's About Time: 10 E-Z Steps to Writing That Novel (or memoir, true crime, nonfiction...) in 2021 with Susie Moloney
- Ask an Agent with Carolyn Forde
- Plotting Conspiracy: How to Write Your Own Conspiracy Novel
- Writing Who You Don't Know with Sharon Bala
- Plotting for Pantsers, Intuits and the Totally Lost with Ali Bryan
- Rock Your Online Reading with Joan Marie Galat
- Snapshots – Writing Memoir 101 with Dorothy Bentley
- Structuring the Novel with Lori Hahnel
- Ask an Agent with Sam Hiyate
- Breaking into Traditional Publishing with PJ Vernon
- Writing Place, Writing Self, Writing History: The Documentary Poem with Dr. Ryan Cox
- Everything I Know About Short Stories with Lee Kvern
- Writing Thrillers and Other Dangerous Novels with Julie Rowe
- Strategies for Publicizing Your Own Book – with Anne Logan
- Non-Fiction Book Proposals with Michael Hingston
- Social Media for Writers: Just the Basics with Jason Norman
- Build a Writers’ Platform and Find Your Audience with Kimberley Grabas
- Research and Narrative Nonfiction with Omar Mouallem
- How to Edit Your Work with Kimmy Beach
- Indexing: The Art of Writing Reader-Friendly Indexes for Nonfiction Books with Stephen Ullstrom
- Smash All teh Rulez with James Harbeck
- Demystifying the Literary Agent with Carolyn Forde
- Rethink Situation to Develop Conflict in Your Story with Gail Anderson-Dargatz (currently unavailable)
- What Lurks Beneath: Subtext and Theme with Cara Hedley (currently unavailable)
- Pitch Your Story to a Film Producer with Michael Jorgensen (currently unavailable)
- Creative Nonfiction: Hooking your Reader with Angie Abdou (currently unavailable)
- Making Readers and Characters Squirm with Beth Hill (currently unavailable)
2021 Online Reading Series
- Charlotte Cameron: Love and Courage in Troubled Times; Hosted by Nancy Bell.
- Karen Spafford-Fitz: Pickpocket; Hosted by Charlotte Cameron.
- Neil Surkan: Unbecoming; Hosted by Berend McKenzie.
- Onyinye Odih: A Mother's Love; Hosted by Sue Farrell Holler.
- Sharon Butala: This Strange Visible Air: Essays on Aging and the Writing Life; Hosted by Alice Major.
- Dan Martin: An Orphan's Journey; Hosted by Steven Sandor.
- Robert Proudfoot: Come By Here, My Lord – Seen in a Mirror Dimly. Wednesday, September 22, 7:00 pm
- Jennifer Bowering Delisle: Deriving; Host: Katherine Abbass. This episode of the WGA Online Reading Series is sponsored by University of Alberta Press & Read Alberta.
- Barb Howard: Happy Sands; Hosted by Anne Logan.
- Ali Bryan: The Hill; Host: Heidi Klaassen.
- Beth Sanders: Nest City: How Citizens Serve Cities and Cities Serve Citizens; Host: Kelly Shepherd.
- Micheline Maylor: The Bad Wife; Host: Anne Sorbie.
We will post our upcoming workshops in tabs below!