The Writers’ Guild of Alberta hosts monthly events to give our members and those interested in joining a chance to get away from their writing desk to socialize with other writers, talk about what’s happening in the book world and learn more about the Writers’ Guild of Alberta. These events also feature informed presenters who talk about specific aspects of writing.
See the listings below for upcoming events. Details may be subject to change; please confirm with the office and if you have any questions you can reach us at [email protected].
Online Reading Series (The August and September Online Readings are still available in recorded format)
- Charlotte Cameron: Love and Courage in Troubled Times; Hosted by Nancy Bell.
- Karen Spafford-Fitz: Pickpocket; Hosted by Charlotte Cameron.
- Neil Surkan: Unbecoming; Hosted by Berend McKenzie.
- Onyinye Odih: A Mother’s Love; Hosted by Sue Farrell Holler.
- Sharon Butala: This Strange Visible Air: Essays on Aging and the Writing Life; Hosted by Alice Major.
- Dan Martin: An Orphan’s Journey; Hosted by Steven Sandor.
- Robert Proudfoot: Come By Here, My Lord – Seen in a Mirror Dimly. Wednesday, September 22, 7:00 pm
- Jennifer Bowering Delisle: Deriving; Host: Katherine Abbass. This episode of the WGA Online Reading Series is sponsored by University of Alberta Press & Read Alberta.
- Barb Howard: Happy Sands; Hosted by Anne Logan. This event is now available in a recorded format.
- Ali Bryan: The Hill; Host: Heidi Klaassen. This event is now available in a recorded format.
- Beth Sanders: Nest City: How Citizens Serve Cities and Cities Serve Citizens; Host: TBA. Wednesday, October 20, 7:00 pm
- Micheline Maylor: The Bad Wife; Host: Anne Sorbie. Wednesday, November 3, 7:00 pm
Storytelling Through Comics with Teresa Wong (Online workshop): Saturday, November 20, 10:00-11:00 am via Zoom. $25 for members, $35 for non-members, and $10 for students.