We support and advocate for all writers and provide opportunities to grow and connect while enriching Alberta’s culture and economy.
A thriving writing community that is diverse, valued, and celebrated.
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) was formed in 1980 to provide a meeting ground and collective voice for all the writers of the province. Our members write in every genre and at every level of expertise.
The WGA helps give Alberta writers a sense of unity and community, and is the largest provincial writers’ organization in Canada.
The WGA believes that:
- The literary arts are essential to the well-being of all individuals, communities and the economy of Alberta;
- Working in partnership with other organizations contributes to the quality of life in Alberta;
- Networking and collaboration are beneficial to innovation and the creative process;
- A safe and welcoming environment is essential for writers to pursue their craft;
- Knowledge and ongoing development are fundamental to creative growth.
WGA Operating Principles
The WGA’s operating principles are derived from its mission, values and guiding beliefs, and include the following:
- Meet the identified needs of the WGA’s membership and allied stakeholders;
- Reinforce the vital importance of local, community-driven systems for literary arts services;
- Effectively manage staff, volunteer, and financial resources;
- Recognize and acknowledge volunteers, donors and sponsors;
- Pursue open and interactive communications and information networking with its membership and allied stakeholders;
- Establish positive, respectful relations with provincial government (elected officials, departments and agencies), other provincial organizations, institutions, enterprises and municipalities;
- Be forward-thinking and flexible, and undertake strategic planning and management;
- Embrace and utilize technology;
- Operate with fiscal responsibility, pursue financial sustainability; Develop realistic expectations and undertake regular performance management reviews;
Such operating principles will guide the actions of the WGA Board of Directors and WGA staff, particularly with respect to the internal management and operations of the WGA.