All writers who are residents or former residents of Alberta are welcome to join the Writers’ Guild of Alberta. Our members include professional writers, aspiring professionals, and hobbyists. We aim to provide support for writers of all forms and genres.
Membership offers access to a number of valuable programs, the chance to connect with Alberta’s dynamic literary community, and the opportunity to contribute to the efforts of an important arts advocacy organization. Membership benefits include:
- A one-year subscription to WestWord, our quarterly magazine containing articles of interest to writers and listings of markets, contests, awards, and events. (Canadian residents are eligible to receive either a hard-copy or electronic version; international residents will receive the magazine electronically.)
- Access to the Manuscript Reading Service.
- Access to the members-only section of the WGA website, including a listing in the online member directory and access to documents such as WestWord back issues and event videos.
- Free entrance to monthly WGA events in Edmonton and Calgary.
- Discounted subscription rates to Alberta literary magazines such as Freefall and On Spec.
- Opportunities to connect with other writers and other members of the writing and publishing community.
- Opportunity to apply for the Mentorship Program.
- Participation in members-only programs and events such as retreats.
- Reduced rates for programs such as workshops and conferences, as well as select literary events presented by other organizations.
- Support information from office staff to help you meet your writing goals.
- Support for starting critiquing groups.
- Weekly electronic news bulletins (WriteClick) providing up-to-date information on writers' markets, news and events.