The Writers’ Guild of Alberta Calgary and Edmonton offices will be closed as we participate in the effort to slow community spread of COVID-19. Staff will be working from home and will be checking email and telephone messages regularly, and will update this site with information for writers as we monitor the developments of COVID-19.
We understand that many will be experiencing losses in income during this time. We are working with government and funding bodies to develop programs that will support writers impacted by COVID-19. They are seeking information to help them understand the financial impact of the pandemic. You can provide information provincially to the Alberta Foundation for the Arts HERE and nationally to The Writers’ Union of Canada HERE and ILostMyGig HERE. Please do keep track of your losses should means of support become available.
We are here to support you. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to us at [email protected].
The Canada Council for the Arts released preliminary results from their survey on Federal Emergency Aid Measures. Read more HERE.
Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) Update
The CERB is now open to applications. You may apply online HERE according to the following schedule:
If you have questions about the CERB, there is a FAQ page HERE. You may also apply for the CERB by phone at 1-800-959-2041.
An update was made on April 15 regarding CERB eligibility and criteria. Details can be found HERE. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced more flexible rules for claiming the Canada emergency response benefit (CERB) …Seasonal workers and those who have recently run out of employment insurance will now also be eligible for CERB. People who make less than $1,000 a month due to reduced work hours will also qualify.
- CANADA COUNCIL / CBC RADIO CANADA: DIGITAL ORIGINALS – The Canada Council for the Arts has teamed up with CBC / Radio-Canada to offer this new opportunity through $ 5,000 micro-innovation grants.
- CBC LIST OF EMERGENCY SUPPORT AND FUNDING FOR ARTISTS
- ELAINE NORMAN FUND FOR DEBUT AUTHORS
- CALGARY ARTS DEVELOPMENT COVID-19 SHORT-TERM RELIEF FUNDING – relief to some of the arts organizations as well as arts and cultural workers in the most urgent need due to COVID-19 impacts
- WRITERS’ TRUST / THE WRITERS’ UNION OF CANADA – CANADIAN WRITERS’ EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND
- CANADIAN HERITAGE – Canadian Heritage and its portfolio organizations play a vital role in the cultural, civic and economic life of Canadians.
- CANADIAN HERITAGE: FUNDING – CULTURE, HISTORY AND SPORT
- FINANCIAL SUPPORTS FOR PEOPLE IMPACTED BY COVID-19 – List of government financial support available curated by Momentum.org
- THE WRITERS’ UNION OF CANADA – This site has links to information pages from different regions across Canada.
- CANADA COUNCIL – Important Information related to COVID-19, including access to EI and government support
- CALGARY FOUNDATION – Pandemic Recovery Room
- PUBLIC LENDING RIGHT PROGRAM – Canada’s Public Lending Right program period for registering new titles remains open and will receive your mailed registration as planned until May 1st. This deadline may be extended, and we will keep you updated.
- NATIONAL ARTS CENTRE – The Facebook-National Arts Centre Fund for Performing Artists will provide $100,000 in artists fees to support online performances between now and March 31
- EDMONTON ARTS COUNCIL COMMUNITY INVESTMENT UPDATES – The Edmonton Arts Council is pleased to announce changes in our investments that will allow artists and organizations to continue with artistic work during this challenging time.
- AFA: COVID-19 INFORMATION FOR AFA STAKEHOLDERS
- CITY OF EDMONTON FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT NEWSLETTER – Updated March 25
- ROZSA FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES $400,000 IN COVID-19 FUNDING
Government of Canada Resources
- GOVERNMENT OF CANADA – Updates from the gov’t of Canada, including economic response plan and financial support
- CANADIAN GOVERNMENT ECONOMIC RESPONSE PLAN
- GOVERNMENT OF CANADA – Emergency Response Benefit
- RESOURCES FOR CANADIAN BUSINESSES – Gov’t of Canada resources for Canadian Businesses
- SUPPORT FOR INDIVIDUALS – Gov’t of Canada economic support for individuals
- ALBERTA URBAN MUNICIPALITIES ASSOCIATION – A list of resources, including some for business continuity planning, is available on the website
- FAQ – Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers
- PUBLIC HEALTH NEW WELLNESS TOGETHER CANADA PORTAL – guide to support and resources for mental health
Regional Government Websites
- ALBERTA GOVERNMENT – Regular updates from the Alberta Government
- ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES – Help in tough times
- CITY OF EDMONTON
- CITY OF CALGARY
- CITY OF RED DEER
Updates & Resources for Writers
The following organizations have issued statements and provided links with resources for writers and artists affected by the COVID-19 virus:
- CULTURAL HUMAN RESOURCES COUNCIL (CHRC) – Cultural sector resources for businesses and individuals (EN)
- CONSIEL DES RESSOURCES DU SECTEUR CULTUREL (CHRC) – Ressources pour les entreprises et individus du secteur culturel (FR)
- EAC COVID-19 FAQs – Edmonton Arts Council has posted an info page with FAQs regarding EAC grants, events and services
- ACCESS COPYRIGHT – Canadian Publishers Launch “Read Aloud Canadian Books”
- CANADA COUNCIL FOR THE ARTS – COVID-19 and the Canada Council for the Arts statement
- CALGARY ARTS DEVELOPMENT – Information About COVID-19
- ACCESS COPYRIGHT – General info and project development/event grants
- ROZSA FOUNDATION – Update and list of resources from the Rozsa Foundation
- Book Women Podcast Series
- WGA Webinars
- Let’s Get Lit Poetry Podcast Series
- Camp NaNoWriMo Online Workshops
- Alexandra Writers’ Centre Society – The AWCS is currently working to move their writing workshops online. Workshops will be available in all genres.
- Read Alberta eBooks! There’s never been a better time to explore the range of talent right here in Alberta.
- Prairie Indigenous Collection offers free access to stories by Indigenous authors, and writings about Indigenous culture.
- Powwow, a celebration through Song and Dance -CJWE interview with Karen Pheasant on her new book
- #StayHomeWriMo – Activities and resources for writer at home
- BookNet TechForum Ebookcraft video series – a list of the 10 most-viewed videos from Tech Forum & ebookcraft 2018 and 2019.
- YEG Streams – Share Your Online Event
- CITADEL THEATRE STUCK IN THE HOUSE SERIES
- PANDEMIC UNIVERSITY – offering 14 short and affordable creative writing classes online
The following is a list of upcoming online programming and events. If you have an online event or resource to be added, contact Ellen at [email protected]. For upcoming WGA events, visit our event calendar or check our weekly newsletter!
- Social Distancing Festival, Ongoing
- Online Poetry Cafe, Alexandra Writers’ Centre, Sundays, 12:30-2:30pm
- Online Short Story Salon, Alexandra Writers’ Centre, Sundays, 10-12pm
- Royal Bison Online, May 8-10, art & craft fair
- CBC Virtual Arts Listings