When employment/contract opportunities arise, the WGA is dedicated to selecting authors from across the province using fair and transparent methods. We take care to represent various communities, cultures, genders, ages, and experiences from across the province when a position becomes available. In all offers of contracts/employment, we will give preference to WGA members.
Current Job Opportunities
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) is seeking a dynamic, experienced Executive Director.
The successful candidate will effectively represent the WGA, its mission, its members, and its programs. The Executive Director is responsible for the successful management of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta according to the mission of the organization and the strategic direction set by the members of the organization through the Board of Directors. The position involves direct responsibility for five staff (3 full time at 35 hours a week, 2 at 21 hours a week) as well as interaction with a number of contract employees and seasonal staff. The Executive Director works under the direction of a policy board to design, develop and implement strategic plans for the organization in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner.
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s administration, personnel, financial, and legal management including all programming, and services, partnerships, and other writing related activities in which the WGA participates. Responsibilities also include overseeing all day-to-day functions of the organization including program development and delivery, and communications. The person in this position must be comfortable with fundraising, speaking with and liaising with potential donors in both the public and private sector and funding bodies.
The successful candidate must have a proven track record of leadership in administration, financial management and human resources. A minimum of two years’ experience as the leader of a not-for-profit arts organization would be ideal, but parallel experience in business or other management settings will be considered. A passion for writing and the literary arts is a must.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communications skills and high standards of performance. She/he will be a strategic planner, meeting short-term commitments while remaining focused on a larger, long-term vision. She/he will liaise with writers, funders, the publishing industry, government figures and other provincial and national literary organizations to help develop a positive and progressive literary community in Alberta. Previous experience with WGA will be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be proficient at Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, ZOOM, Google meets and Google Drive, comfortable working on both a Mac and PC platform. They will have the ability to multi-task, and perform in an environment with numerous competing tasks. Experience with online application and granting systems is an asset.
Projected Salary: $60,000 – $70,000. Closing Date: 7 January 2022
Please email your resume with a covering letter (including salary expectations) to: [email protected].
Please include ED application in the subject line of the email.
- The Banff Centre Writer in Residence: The Banff Retreat Writer in Residence Position is an open competition for both in- and out- of- province writers.
- WordsWorth Instructors and Creative Team Members: WordsWorth positions are open competitions for both in- and out-of- province writers that are posted annually. There will be a roster kept from year to year to maintain a core identity that the youth will recognize.
- Mentorship Program: The selection criteria for the Mentorship program can be found here.
- WestWord Contributors: WestWord, our member-only magazine, is always interested in articles on writing ranging from 500-2500 words. Got an idea? Send an email query with writing samples to [email protected] with the subject: “WestWord Article Proposal.” Unsolicited pieces are welcome, but rarely accepted for publication. Rates per piece range from $200- $600. Submission is open to members and non-members alike.
Please note that the positions below are not application based but WGA-selected, subject to criteria and funding. Further opportunities are posted above and in WriteClick.
- Award Juries: Jury selection endeavours to employ writers and other literary people who have experience and expertise with particular categories of writing. Having representation from different parts of the province is important to us. Every jury for the Alberta Literary Awards includes one out-of-province person.
- Monthly Event Presenters: We count on the expertise of our staff, who plan the monthly events in Calgary and Edmonton, to keep track of who has been featured in the past, who has new books out, who is on tour, and who works around a certain theme. Our staff is also responsible for balancing the budget, and consideration of this often comes into play during the selection process. This is also the case with smaller conferences.
- Annual Conference Presenters: Our large conferences offer a broader range of positions and, as such, we post a call for submissions. The WGA also leaves room for hand-selected authors who would like to be seen by the community and who may be sponsored or already on tour.