When employment/contract opportunities arise, the WGA is dedicated to selecting authors from across the province using fair and transparent methods. We take care to represent various communities, cultures, genders, ages, and experiences from across the province when a position becomes available. In all offers of contracts/employment, we will give preference to WGA members.
Current Job Opportunities
There are no job openings at this time.
- The Banff Centre Writer in Residence: The Banff Retreat Writer in Residence Position is an open competition for both in- and out- of- province writers.
- WordsWorth Instructors and Creative Team Members: WordsWorth positions are open competitions for both in- and out-of- province writers that are posted annually. There will be a roster kept from year to year to maintain a core identity that the youth will recognize.
- Mentorship Program: The selection criteria for the Mentorship program can be found here.
- WestWord Contributors: WestWord, our member-only magazine, is always interested in articles on writing ranging from 500-2500 words. Got an idea? Send an email query with writing samples to [email protected] with the subject: “WestWord Article Proposal.” Unsolicited pieces are welcome, but rarely accepted for publication. Rates per piece range from $200- $600. Submission is open to members and non-members alike.
Please note that the positions below are not application based but WGA-selected, subject to criteria and funding. Further opportunities are posted above and in WriteClick.
- Award Juries: Jury selection endeavours to employ writers and other literary people who have experience and expertise with particular categories of writing. Having representation from different parts of the province is important to us. Every jury for the Alberta Literary Awards includes one out-of-province person.
- Monthly Event Presenters: We count on the expertise of our staff, who plan the monthly events in Calgary and Edmonton, to keep track of who has been featured in the past, who has new books out, who is on tour, and who works around a certain theme. Our staff is also responsible for balancing the budget, and consideration of this often comes into play during the selection process. This is also the case with smaller conferences.
- Annual Conference Presenters: Our large conferences offer a broader range of positions and, as such, we post a call for submissions. The WGA also leaves room for hand-selected authors who would like to be seen by the community and who may be sponsored or already on tour.