When employment/contract opportunities arise, the WGA is dedicated to selecting authors from across the province using fair and transparent methods. We take care to represent various communities, cultures, genders, ages, and experiences from across the province when a position becomes available. In all offers of contracts/employment, we will give preference to WGA members.
Current Job Opportunities
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) invites applications from post-secondary students interested in meeting writers, promoting literary works by Albertans, and gaining experience in arts administration.
The Program Assistant will work closely with WGA program coordinators on various projects that include administration, writing, editing, event planning, and design work using Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Assist with the implementation of our annual conference and literary awards gala: Be available for the weekends of the conference and gala in June, to assist WGA staff with registration and various other duties in relation to the events.
- Aid in the organization of literary arts events
- Review and edit website content
- Correspond with publishers and/or writers
- Gather administrative materials for camps
- Assist with the coordinating, layout and printing of the WordsWorth camp anthology
- Aid with writing, proofing, and editing tasks as necessary
- Any general office admin tasks if needed (answering phones, data entry, mail etc.)
- Research for advocacy matters and fundraising
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident, living in Alberta
- Currently attending post-secondary school and will be returning full time in the fall
- Strong time-management and multi-tasking skills
- Strong organizational skills with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledgeable in computer software including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Gmail, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Good writing skills and facility with the English language
- Some digital and social media skills
- This is a full-time position (35 hours/week) for 14 weeks beginning mid-May.
- Regular hours are 9:00 – 4:30 pm Monday – Friday, with some evening/weekend work for events.
- Hourly wage is $18.50 per hour.
Please send resumé and cover letter to [email protected] by May 8, 2022.
- The Banff Centre Writer in Residence: The Banff Retreat Writer in Residence Position is an open competition for both in- and out- of- province writers.
- WordsWorth Instructors and Creative Team Members: WordsWorth positions are open competitions for both in- and out-of- province writers that are posted annually. There will be a roster kept from year to year to maintain a core identity that the youth will recognize.
- Mentorship Program: The selection criteria for the Mentorship program can be found here.
- WestWord Contributors: WestWord, our member-only magazine, is always interested in articles on writing ranging from 500-2500 words. Got an idea? Send an email query with writing samples to [email protected] with the subject: “WestWord Article Proposal.” Unsolicited pieces are welcome, but rarely accepted for publication. Rates per piece range from $200- $600. Submission is open to members and non-members alike.
Please note that the positions below are not application based but WGA-selected, subject to criteria and funding. Further opportunities are posted above and in WriteClick.
- Award Juries: Jury selection endeavours to employ writers and other literary people who have experience and expertise with particular categories of writing. Having representation from different parts of the province is important to us. Every jury for the Alberta Literary Awards includes one out-of-province person.
- Monthly Event Presenters: We count on the expertise of our staff, who plan the monthly events in Calgary and Edmonton, to keep track of who has been featured in the past, who has new books out, who is on tour, and who works around a certain theme. Our staff is also responsible for balancing the budget, and consideration of this often comes into play during the selection process. This is also the case with smaller conferences.
- Annual Conference Presenters: Our large conferences offer a broader range of positions and, as such, we post a call for submissions. The WGA also leaves room for hand-selected authors who would like to be seen by the community and who may be sponsored or already on tour.