Our VisionAn Alberta where past, present, and future contributions of writers are supported, acknowledged, and valued.
Our MissionThe Writers’ Guild of Alberta’s mission is to inspire, connect, support, encourage and promote writers and writing, to safeguard the freedom to write and to read, and to advocate for the well-being of writers.
Who We Are
The Writers' Guild of Alberta (WGA) was formed in 1980 to provide a meeting ground and collective voice for all the writers of the province. Our members write in every genre and at every level of expertise.
The WGA helps give Alberta writers a sense of unity and community, and is the largest provincial writers’ organization in Canada.
The WGA believes that:
1. The literary arts are essential to the well-being of all individuals, communities and the economy of Alberta;
2. Working in partnership with other organizations contributes to the quality of life in Alberta;
3. Networking and collaboration are beneficial to innovation and the creative process;
4. A free and safe environment is essential for writers to pursue their craft;
5. Knowledge and ongoing development are fundamental to creative growth.
WGA Operating Principles
The WGA’s operating principles are derived from its mission, values and guiding beliefs, and include the following:
- Meet the identified needs of the WGA’s membership and allied stakeholders;
- Reinforce the vital importance of local, community-driven systems for literary arts services;
- Effectively manage staff, volunteer, and financial resources;
- Recognize and acknowledge volunteers, donors and sponsors;
- Pursue open and interactive communications and information networking with its membership and allied stakeholders;
- Establish positive, respectful relations with provincial government (elected officials, departments and agencies), other provincial organizations, institutions, enterprises and municipalities;
- Be forward-thinking and flexible, and undertake strategic planning and management;
- Embrace and utilize technology;
- Operate with fiscal responsibility, pursue financial sustainability;
- Develop realistic expectations and undertake regular performance management reviews;
- Such operating principles will guide the actions of the WGA Board of Directors and WGA staff, particularly with respect to the internal management and operations of the WGA.