Program period: January 2024 – May 2024
Application deadline: December 15 – 11:59 MST
Horizons Writers Circle is a program that provides support and mentorship for writers within the Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC) community, ESL, and underrepresented writers who live in Edmonton and are at the beginning of their literary journey. The program runs for five months and is fully subsidized, making it cost-free for successful applicants.
About Horizons Writers Circle
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) with the support from Edmonton Arts Council, we have designed Horizons Writers Circle to yield new literary works, explore the experience of underrepresented writers, and initiate dialogue that celebrates our diversity and contributes to a deeper understanding of one another. The program offers mentorship, workshops, discussions, networking, public reading opportunities, industry events, and more. Horizons Writers Circle runs from January 2024 to May 2024 and will take place in person, unless otherwise specified for events and activities.
The program reflects the WGA’s commitment to emerging writers from diverse backgrounds. Our hope is to create opportunities for underserved writers, empowering them by supporting their self-determined journey to becoming established members of the literary community. Mentorship is a significant part of the program. Participants are carefully matched with well-established members of the literary community who can address their specific creative and technical writing goals.
Candidates are required to meet the following criteria:
- The candidate must be a part of the BIPOC, immigrant, ESL and underrepresented community and has not yet established a substantial presence in Canada’s mainstream literary scene.
- The candidate must be a resident of Edmonton.
- The candidate must have a working knowledge of English.
- The candidate must be a Canadian citizen, refugee or landed immigrant.
- The candidate must be available to attend events and activities with reasonable regularity for the duration of the program.
- The candidate must provide writing samples. Please note that published works are not required.
- The candidate must have a clear intention of exploring and establishing a future in writing.
We thank all who apply, however, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please direct any questions regarding the Horizons Writers Circle to Mila Philipzig ([email protected]).
Sorry. This form is no longer available.