The University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine and Mama na Mtoto initiative for regional maternal, newborn, and child health in Tanzania is presenting this flash writing contest. The WGA is happy to partner with these groups to offer administrative and promotional support.
Flash Fiction or Flash Non-Fiction on the subject of: Mothers and/or Motherhood Around the World.
Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, quality of writing, and adherence to the theme. The prize of one entry to the WGA Banff Half-Retreat from February 19-23 will be awarded to one winner in each category.
Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction: Stories of mothers and/or motherhood from around the world
- Pieces must be 1000 words or less
- Pieces must be original, unpublished in print or online, including personal blogs, and remain unpublished until April 2020
- Entries must be submitted in Word or PDF format no later than December 13, 2019 11:59PM MST. Double spaced. 12 point font. The title or title abbreviation and word count should appear on each page. The author’s name should appear on the first page.
- Only electronic submissions are being considered for this contest. Email them to [email protected] Subject line: Global Health Contest and either Fiction or Non-fiction
- Writers may submit one piece only for each category
- All submissions will be reviewed by WGA staff and top selections will be reviewed by a three person panel of professional writers. The contest host Mama na Mtoto (the University of Calgary) reserves the right to not award a prize if there are not a significant enough amount of entries received.
- Ineligible submissions will not be returned. Only the winning writers (and possibly honorable mentions) will be contacted.
- By submitting to this contest writers are giving Mama na Mtoto permission to publish the winning and shortlisted works online for a short period of time after the contest ends. Authors will always retain the copyright of their work
- Submissions deemed to be inappropriate will not be forwarded to contest judges.
- Prizes are non-transferable. If the winner is unable to attend the retreat the prize may be awarded to the runner-up in the category.
- Writers will be invited to attend a final event in Calgary. Entrants will be responsible for their own transportation and accommodation(s) if they elect to attend from outside the Calgary area.
The WGA Banff Retreat is a self-guided retreat and a great opportunity to connect with fellow writers and enjoy uninterrupted writing time among amazing scenery at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity.
More information about Mama na Mtoto and their initiatives and this writing contest at https://www.mnmtanzania.com/latest-news/writing-contest-guidelines/