The Writers’ Guild of Alberta is now taking applications for the position of Program and Member Services Coordinator. Job description and application info is below.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2018
Program and Member Services Coordinator: Writers’ Guild of Alberta, Head Office, Edmonton
Reports To: Executive Director of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta.
Design and deliver programs and services in keeping with the mission and strategic plan of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta. Work to ensure the relevance of the WGA’s program and services to members, and to maintain the visibility and public profile of the organization.
The position is a 35 hour a week job with two days dedicated to member services and three days to program coordination. Periodic evening and weekend hours are required.
The position works closely with the Program and Events Coordinator with the division of duties determined mutually. Currently the position is responsible for the following programs or services: Read Alberta Books, annual WGA conference, the Borderlines Writers Circle, youth program liaison, online programs, and assistance with Edmonton member nights.
First point of contact for the WGA includes in-person, telephone, and email communication. Office administration and management include membership processing.
- Plan, promote, and host a minimum of ten monthly member nights per year in Edmonton
- Liaise with staff in the southern Alberta office in the development of programs
- Coordinate the annual AGM and conference when held in Edmonton, including program planning and administration. Assist with planning when hosted outside of Edmonton
- Work collaboratively with other writing and literary organizations in Edmonton and region in the delivery of program and services.
- Research, design and deliver new programs and services
- Provide support for writing critiquing groups including start‐up assistance
- Assist in the completion of grant application and reporting
- Research and pursue other revenue opportunities
- Ensure all tasks are completed in a timely fashion for each program deadline and that the program is properly presented and publicized
- Maintain comprehensive annual records for each program
- Provide a final report for the executive director within two weeks of completion of each program, including attendance numbers, budget, and comments
- Maintain a procedures file for each program
- Respond to email, phone, and in-person requests for information
- Processes membership applications
- Clerical, administrative, and research tasks
The Program and Member Services Coordinator should demonstrate ability in the following:
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities wherever possible
- Focus on Member Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of members and potential members to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities
- Fiscal responsibility: Be able to deliver effective programs within assigned budgets
- University Degree in Arts and Culture Management, English or a related field with three – five years of work experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Proficient in English, both written and spoken
- Strong background in program management
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Knowledge of WGA membership and issues related to the program area
- Proficiency in the use of computers for: word processing, databases, spreadsheets, internet
The WGA supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome.
Application instructions: please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] when applying for this opportunity.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2018
Salary range: $38,000 – $40,000 depending on experience
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Comments are closed.