For years, hundreds of people attending SPEAKout’s events left inspired, triggered by the words uttered by the marvellous talent showcased in our slams. Internally, the SPEAKout crew itched to find a way to bring the inspiration it is helping create into action. We believe we finally caught on to the beginning of its thread!
“Ideas Worth Rhyming – Where Art meets Action” is our first proposal to take the poetry outside of the venues it is spoken within. On October 21, 2012 we introduce a sister stage to our spoken word platform, that of activism. Activism is much larger than the political focus it is usually put under. It is any form of (peaceful) action one takes to improve a situation. Such issues include education, mental health, human rights, racism, working with a disability, voting, domestic violence, freedom of speech, obesity, consumerism, bullying, stereotypes … and that’s only to name a few.
We are seeking a handful of rising talent with less than 2 years of experience in the spoken word scene to be part of this event. They will be sharing the stage with some of Canada’s best spoken word artists that we have invited to perform about specific topics like the ones mentioned above.
Interested? Drop us an email on [email protected] no later than Thursday Sept 27, 11:59pm with the following:
– Contact information: Name, phone number, city of residence
– Topic chosen to write about and why
– Word document of the poem
– Youtube URL of a previous performance of the same poem or another
Please note that SPEAKout holds the following 3 values that all performances must adhere to:
– Keep it clean! – No racial slurs, vulgar language, profanity or explicit sexual references in content or performance.
– Respect others! – We value people of all ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. Your poetry must adhere to these values.
– Speak your mind and be creative! – Show Canada what you’re made of! We accept all political, individual & religious viewpoints.
Selected poets will be contacted by Friday October 5.
We look forward to watching your talent shine! Any inquires or questions can be made to the same email: [email protected]
— The Mandate of MOST VOCAL Poets Society —
The primary focus of MOST VOCAL is the oral presentation of poetry. The secondary focus of MOST VOCAL is to support other literary art forms. MOST VOCAL is dedicated to the promotion of poetry as a performing art, as well as other literary and performing arts in Southern Alberta.
For those looking for information on www.ckxu.com‘s NOT YOUR MOTHERS POETRY, check out the separate FaceBook group for that show — the shows happens Saturdays at 9 am Lethbridge Alberta Canada time.