Dear Writing Student,
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta would like to offer all writing students a FREE one year membership so that you can enjoy the benefits of being a part of an organization that has been devoted to inspiring, connecting, supporting, encouraging and promotingAlberta writers since 1980.
Our 2011 schedule is brimming with opportunities for writers to gather with other writers, practice their craft, learn a new thing, renew an acquaintance or make a connection. Here are just a few highlights:
- · The Alberta Literary Awards were created by The Writers’ Guild of Alberta in 1982 to recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors. The awards include the Amber Bowerman Memorial Travel Writing Award, which is specifically for a travel writing piece by an author under 30 years of age. To view submission guidelines and past winners, please visithttp://www.writersguild.ab.ca/Alberta-Literary-Awards.asp.
- · We host various events in Edmonton, Calgary, and other Alberta locales throughout the year where writers can come together to learn, network, mingle, discuss, and party. For information on upcoming events, please visithttp://www.writersguild.ab.ca/WGA-Events.asp.
- · Our retreats give authors at any stage of their career a respite from the pressures of everyday life and, most importantly, uninterrupted writing time. For more information, please visit http://www.writersguild.ab.ca/Retreats.asp.
And that’s not all the WGA can do for you! WGA membership also includes the following benefits and services:
- · A subscription to WestWord, our bi-monthly magazine containing features about the writing life and listings of markets, contests, awards and events.
- · Our weekly electronic bulletin WriteClick, providing up-to date information on writers’ markets, news and events.
- · Access to the WGA-subsidized Manuscript Reading Service. For more information about the service, please visit http://www.writersguild.ab.ca/Manuscript-Reading-Service.asp.
- · Access to the members-only section of our website, including a listing in our online member directory. If you have not yet created an online account, you may do so at http://www.writersguild.ab.ca/Join-Now.asp.
- · Support for planning WGA events in your community through the Guild-to-Go program. For more information, please visithttp://www.writersguild.ab.ca/Guild-to-go.asp.
Please don’t hesitate to contact the WGA offices if you have questions. We can tell you about our services, assist with your questions about writing or register you for a program. Our staff in the Calgary office is happy to answer questions about programs and events in the southern Alberta region.
Writing can be a solitary occupation, but the WGA is about writers, and you would be part of the largest provincial organization of writers in Canada. We would be thrilled to have you as part of our organization!
Please e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at 780.422.8174 (toll freeAlberta 1.800.665.5354) to register for your FREE one year student membership! If you’re sending us an e-mail, please write “Free Student Membership” in the subject field and let us know what writing program you are in.
Writers Guild of Alberta—Head Office
Percy Page Centre
11759 Groat Road NW
Edmonton, AB T5M 3K6
1.800.665.5354 (toll free Alberta)
Writers Guild of Alberta—Calgary Office
Lord Denning House
509, 20th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0E7