Thanks to Servus Credit Union Martyn Godfrey Awards and to YABS, ONE lucky winner will have their tuition and travel paid to attend WordsWorth!
This post lifted from the YABS website has all the details.
They’re not funny awards. They’re awards for funny kids.
Do you know any awesome young writers or comedic kids? We think they deserve a little extra recognition, and the Servus Credit Union Martyn Godfrey Award is just the thing! This is an annual, juried writing competition open to allAlbertan students in grades 7 through 9. Students are invited to submit a humourous short story (500-1500 words) to the YABS office by May 28, 2012.
Who was Martyn Godfrey?
Martyn Godfrey (1949-2000) was born in England, raised in Toronto, and taught school in Ontario and Alberta. In 1985, he became a full-time writer for young adult and juvenile fiction, had more than 40 funny books published, and toured with the Young Alberta Book Society for many years. One of the best parts of his career was laughing over the creative and hilarious letters he received from funny kids, which is what inspired us to create this award in his honour.
Is there a prize?
You bet! We’re pleased to be offering a trip to WordsWorth, the young writers’ camp at Kamp Kiwanis in Bragg Creek. The winner and two runners up will each receive an artist visit to their schools during our annual Taleblazers festival! (See the Small Print at the bottom of this page for the details.)
What are the rules?
- All entries must be received by May 28, 2012 at the YABS office, 11759 Groat Road, Edmonton AB, T5M 3K6. Faxed entries will be accepted providing they are legible. The fax number is 780-422-8239. Emailed entries sent to [email protected] are acceptable provided they contain a scanned or photographed legible parental permission statement.
- Each entry must be original, unpublished, and not submitted elsewhere for publication or performance.
- All entries in this competition will be judged anonymously, on merit alone.
- You may enter the contest as many times as you like, but you must include a separate cover page for each submitted story.
- A cover page MUST be attached to your submission. On your cover page, please provide the following:
– Your name, complete mailing address, and telephone number.
– Your age and date of birth
– The title of your piece
– The word count
– Your parent or guardian’s signature giving permission to enter this contest
- Your entry must be typed, double-spaced, on 8.5 X 11 inch white paper in an easily readable font.
- Entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy.
- As a contestant in this competition, you agree that the Young Alberta Book Society may print your winning entry (with full acknowledgement of you as the author) in its newsletter and on its website, and that Servus Credit Union may print your entry in its newsletters or annual report.
- Winners will be notified by June 8, 2012.
- Entrants must be in grade 7, 8, or 9 in Alberta at the time of entry.
- There will be three prizes awarded (see below for details). Prizes must be accepted as awarded and may not be redeemed for cash value. The decision of the judges is final.
The Small Print
The first prize winner will receive a trip to the Writers Guild of Alberta’s WordsWorth 2012 youth writing camp in Bragg Creek, AB, and a half day visit for a literary artist to his or her school during Taleblazers 2012. The camp portion of the prize will consist of the camp registration, plus reimbursement of the winner’s travel expenses to and from the camp up to a maximum of $1000, upon the submission of appropriate receipts or a signed mileage statement. Winners are responsible for making their own travel arrangements and must register properly with the camp. The artist visit will consist of two one-hour sessions in the student’s school, for which YABS will cover the artist’s presentation fee, a school YABS membership, and the artist’s travel costs as per the Taleblazers festival policy. This portion of the prize is contingent upon the participation of the staff at the winner’s school. The artist will be selected by YABS. The two runners up will receive artist visits to their schools.